Tamron Co., Ltd.
TAMRON TAP-in Console™ (Model TAP-01)
Sony mount model launched
Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Shiro Ajisaka; Headquarters: Saitama City), a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the launch of the TAMRON TAP-in Console (Model TAP-01), a lens accessory that enables firmware updating and customized setups for selected Tamron lenses, for Sony cameras (Sony A mount model).
Model TAP-01 for Sony
* Cosmetic appearance of product may change before launch.
TAMRON TAP-in Console for Sony
* The Canon and Nikon mount models already on sale
|Date of Launch|
|August 25, 2016|
For the first time, customers can update firmware in selected Tamron lenses and customize various lens functions to meet their needs simply by attaching a TAMRON TAP-in Console and running the TAMRON TAP-in Utility software on their PC or Mac. Previously, firmware updates could be performed only at a TAMRON Customer Service Center. Using the new accessory and an internet connection, customers can access a dedicated website and update firmware themselves anytime, anywhere. In addition, selected lenses can be customized by changing various settings (described below) to match the customer’s preferences based on how they like to use the lens, making it even more versatile and user-friendly.
- Custom Options
- ●Update firmware
-Update the firmware of compatible lenses
-Update the firmware of the TAP-in Console itself
- ●Customize functions of selected lenses
-Focus distance limiter customization (only for lenses that have the Focus Limiter feature)
-Full-time Manual Focus override customization (only for lenses that have the Full-time Manual Focus feature)
-Save customized data files
* Because Tamron lenses compatible with Sony cameras are not equipped with the VC (Vibration Compensation) system, the Customize function for VC adjustment, which is available for the Nikon and Canon mount models, is not available for the new Sony mount model.
- TAMRON TAP-in Utility Software
- Updating Firmware
- Customization of Selected Tamron Lenses
- (1) Focus adjustment
- Focus can be adjusted in three distance regions: close, intermediate, and far ranges. For zoom lenses with variable focal length ranges, adjustments can be made for up to eight segments, which means that focus adjustment for a combined total of up to 24 regions is possible. Fixed-focal length lenses have only one segment, so customization for the three distance regions is possible. The conditions and range of possible adjustments may differ according to the lens model.
- (2) Focus distance limiter customization
- For lenses equipped with a Focus Limiter switch, it is possible to adjust the autofocus drive range by setting the near and far limits according to user preferences. If the Focus Limiter switch has three positions, setting the middle position is also possible. Only lens models equipped with the Focus Limiter function can be adjusted. The conditions and range of possible adjustments may differ according to the lens model.
- (3) Full-time Manual Focus override customization
- For any lens with a Full-time Manual Focus override system, you can set the mode to ON or OFF. In addition, you can optimize the sensitivity of the focus ring to your preference relative to its angular rotation anywhere between High and Low, when setting the manual focus mode menu button to ON.
- Compatible Tamron Lenses (As of August 2016)
- TAP-in Utility Operating Environment
With a TAMRON TAP-in Console, customers can do the following things.
Customers download the free TAMRON TAP-in Utility and install it on their Mac or PC. Updating firmware and customizing various lens functions is as easy as connecting the TAP-in Console with a USB cable and making selections. An internet connection is required for firmware updates.
Customers can update firmware of selected Tamron lenses using this utility software. Additionally, the firmware in the TAP-in Console unit can be updated as needed. Using an internet connection and the utility software, users can access a dedicated website and easily confirm that the lens attached to the TAP-in Console—and the Console itself—have the most up-to-date firmware. If a newer version is available, updating is quick and secure.
Various lens functions can be customized, depending on the lens model and built-in features.
SP 85mm F/1.8 Di USD (Model F016) for Sony: To be launched soon
SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 USD (Model F017) for Sony: To be launched on August 25, 2016
SP 45mm F/1.8 Di USD (Model F013) for Sony
SP 35mm F/1.8 Di USD (Model F012) for Sony
This software program operates on a computer satisfying the following conditions.
Windows 8, Windows 8.1
|Mac OS X 10.10 – 10.11|
|CPU||Core2Duo with 2.0 GHz or faster||Intel processor|
|RAM||1 GB or more||1 GB or more|
|Hard Disk Drive Capacity||1 GB or more of available space||1 GB or more of available space|
|Monitor Display Resolution||
1024 × 768 pixels (XGA) or more
24-bit color or more
1024 × 768 pixels (XGA) or more
24-bit color or more
|Interface||USB 2.0 as standard feature||USB 2.0 as standard feature|
|* Functionality of this software program is not guaranteed on all Windows computers
** If setting the text size at 100% or larger in “Display” settings of Windows, a part of the operation screen may not be displayed.
|* Functionality of this software program is not guaranteed on all Mac computers.|
|Product name||TAMRON TAP-in Console (Model TAP-01)|
|Interface (Computer side)||USB 2.0|
|Interface (Lens side)||Nikon, Canon, and Sony|
|Power Supply||USB bus-powered|
|Power Source||MAX. 500mA|
|Dimensions||(W/D) Φ72mm (H) 26mm [(W/D) 2.8in (H) 1in]|
|Weight||70g/ 2.5oz (TAP-in Console)|
|Operating Temperature||0°C - 40°C (32°F - 104°F)|
|Operating Humidity||85% or less|
|Standard Accessories||USB cable, Cap|
|Dedicated Software Program||
TAMRON TAP-in Utility
* Free download from Tamron website
For Canon, Nikon, and Sony
* Only selected lenses made by Tamron
- Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
●The photographs and figures used in this press release show the product under development, which may be different from the final product. Also, product specifications and functions are subject to change without prior notice.
●Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and other countries. Macintosh, Mac and OS X are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries. Other company and product names, etc. are the trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies.