Ultimate correction of aberrations and excellent resolving power with balanced bokeh
Tamron announces the launch of the SP 85mm F/1.8 Di USD (Model F016) for Sony mount
November 4, 2016, Saitama, Japan – Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Shiro Ajisaka ), a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the launch of the SP 85mm F/1.8 Di USD (Model F016) for Sony mount.
SP 85mm F/1.8 Di USD (Model F016)
for Sony mount*
|Date of Launch (in Japan)**
November 17, 2016
The lenses are already available for Canon and Nikon cameras.
**Please be advised of certain variances in the actual launching dates by region.
- Superior resolving power and attractive bokeh
- Experienced optical design technique combined with LD (Low Dispersion) and XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion) lens elements have virtually eliminated on-axis and lateral chromatic aberrations that might otherwise appear as color fringing. In addition, by thoroughly reducing comatic aberrations (distortion of off-axis point source) and astigmatism, subjects that appear as a distinct point source will be captured as a distinct point source even at the edges and corners of the frame. Furthermore, optical simulations were thoroughly conducted, and the 85mm achieves natural bokeh— that dreamy, semi-focus blur that separates the portrait subject from the background with a snap.
- Fluorine Coating and Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Fluorine Coating technology developed for use in industrial optics applications has been adapted to photographic lenses. The water and oil repellant coating applied on the front element surface allows safe and easy removal of fingerprints, dirt and smudges. The coating also provides an enhanced level of durability, and will sustain its effectiveness for years. In addition, seals are located at the lens mount area and other critical locations to prevent infiltration of moisture and/or rain drops and provide Moisture-Resistant Construction. This feature provides an additional layer of protection when shooting outdoors under adverse weather conditions.
- Sophisticated eBAND and BBAR coatings plus Advanced Anti-Reflection Technologies
- Two highly developed lens coating technologies, eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) which uses nanotechnology, and BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection), combine to increase light transmission and to reduce flare and ghosting to imperceptible levels. Additional techniques are employed to prevent reflections inside the lens barrel so that the 85mm lens delivers high contrast, sharp and clear images worthy of a fixed focal lens. This lens clearly captures detailed tones even in the shadows.
- USD actuator maximized for fast and accurate focusing
- Fast, quiet AF is achieved by employing a USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) ring-type ultrasonic motor which enables remarkably precise focusing drive with high torque and responsiveness. Thanks to the absence of reduction gears in USD, there is no backlash and no unnecessary back-and-forth movement. The control software program for the USD actuator has been revised to provide substantially improved focusing speed and accuracy when using AF. In addition, Full-time Manual Focus override is available at any point during the autofocus operation for deliberately shifting focus without switching the AF-MF. Whether overriding the autofocus or focusing completely manually, the focusing ring turns smoothly and evenly.
- Compatibility with TAMRON TAP-in Console™
- Always as new as tomorrow: You can update firmware, customize autofocus positions and adjust the mechanical setup and preferences of the 85mm lens by simply attaching it to the TAMRON TAP-in Console and connecting it via USB to a personal computer. (The TAP-in Console is an optional accessory.)
The superior technology inside the Tamron 85mm is matched by advanced external ergonomic features under a design philosophy called “Human Touch.” Improvements include altering the geometric shape and resistance of the switches to deliver comfort with secured operational feedback, and enlarging the distance scale window to maximize visibility and legibility. Even the font style has been newly developed to enhance legibility as part of the overall product design.
|Angle of View (diagonal)
|28°33' (for full-frame format)
18°39' (for APS-C format)
|13 elements in 9 groups
|Minimum Object Distance
|0.8m (31.5 in)
|Maximum Magnification Ratio
|for Sony 90.8mm (3.6 in)
|for Sony 650g (22.9 oz)
|9 (circular diaphragm)
|Lens hood, Lens caps
* Length is the distance from the front tip of the lens to the lens mount face.
The Sony mount version does not include VC since Sony digital SLR bodies incorporate built-in image stabilization functionality.