Introducing the pinnacle of ultra-telephoto zoom with advanced features, enhanced performance, and improved ergonomics
New generation “G2” lens boasts faster AF speed and enhanced VC
SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Model A022)
September 1, 2016, Saitama, Japan – Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Shiro Ajisaka), a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the launch of the SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Model A022). This second generation “G2” lens builds upon the success of the SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A011), which launched in December 2013 and continues to successfully meet photographers’ needs in the ultra-telephotography category. The new G2 version was developed to provide superior optical performance with today’s high resolution DSLRs and to add improvements to several features including speed and accuracy of AF and VC (Vibration Compensation). Also, several new features have been added: FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism, Fluorine Coating and optional tele converters. The new lens delivers outstanding performance and a luxurious, upscale appearance, including a metal lens barrel.
|SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Model A022)|
|Date of Launch (in Japan)*1|
September 23, 2016
The Canon and Nikon mount models will be launched simultaneously.
- *1 Please be advised of certain variances in the actual launching dates by region.
*2 The Sony mount model does not include VC (Vibration Compensation), since the bodies of Sony DSLR cameras include built-in image stabilization functionality.
The name of the Sony mount model is “SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di USD G2 (Model A022)” without the VC designation.
- Optical design refreshed to achieve even higher performance
- Three LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements completely eliminate axial and transverse chromatic aberrations. The design also features upgraded optical construction (21 elements in 13 groups) and leverages improvements in manufacturing technology. As a result, the lens delivers high resolution, improved sharpness and overall better performance.
- Tamron’s sophisticated eBAND Coating for eliminating ghosting and flare
- eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating is a nano-structured layer deployed on the lens element surface. In addition to regular anti-reflection coatings, eBAND Coating offers higher light transmission and significant improvement in anti-reflection characteristics, especially against angulated incident rays. Combined with of BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) coatings, flare and ghosting are reduced to imperceptible levels.
- MOD reduced to provide optimum tele-macro photography
- Tamron’s advanced manufacturing technology has made it possible to reduce the MOD (Minimum Object Distance) to 2.2m (86.6 in), compared to 2.7m for Model A011, and has allowed for the wonders of tele-macro photography.
- AF speed is faster and much more responsive with moving subjects
The Model A022 is equipped with a USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) ring-type motor that delivers excellent responsiveness and control. AF speed is significantly improved from current model, and it enables accurate high-speed focus even when capturing moving subjects.
When shooting with AF, the Full-time Manual Focus override allows you to instantly make fine focusing adjustments manually, without having to switch between modes.
- VC performance is now 4.5 stops and offers three modes optimized for different situations
The VC (Vibration Compensation) effectiveness is equivalent to 4.5 stops, based on image stabilization performance levels established by CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) when using in VC MODE 3. Model A022 now has three types of VC modes, and it is possible to choose the optimum VC mode according to the situation for taking a photograph, such as when wishing to pan the camera.
VC MODE 1 is the standard mode that strikes a great balance between the stability of the viewfinder image and the stabilization effects.
VC MODE 2 is exclusively used for panning.
VC MODE 3 prioritizes the stabilization of the captured images and forgoes the stabilization of the viewfinder image.
With the optional accessory TAMRON TAP-in Console™, you can custom the configuration of VC MODE 1. Choose the viewfinder view of either standard or viewfinder image priority.
- New FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism enables the locking of the zoom ring at any position
- FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism quickly locks or unlocks the zoom at any position simply by sliding the zoom ring. Photographers can shoot from any angle without the zoom extending unintentionally. Additionally, the conventional Zoom Lock switch prevents unwanted barrel extension during transportation.
- Fluorine Coating and the Moisture-Resistant Construction for a more user-friendly lens
- The front surface of the lens element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that is water- and oil-repellant. The lens surface is easier to wipe clean and is less vulnerable to the damaging effects of dirt, dust, moisture and fingerprints. For greater protection when shooting outdoors, leak-proof seals throughout the lens barrel help protect your equipment.
- Electromagnetic diaphragm system now used also for Nikon-mount lenses
An electromagnetic diaphragm system, which has been a standard feature for Canon-mount lenses, is now employed in Nikon-mount lenses*3. More precise diaphragm and aperture control is possible because the diaphragm blades are driven and controlled by a motor through electronic pulse signals.
*3 Available only with cameras compatible with the electromagnetic diaphragm (D3100, D3200, D3300, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D5500, D7000, D7100, D7200, D300, D300s, D600, D610, D700, D750, D800, D800E, D810, D810A, D3x, D3s, D4, D4s, Df, D500, D5). (As of September 1; Tamron)
- The lightweight and easy-to-hold tripod mount that is compatible with an Arca-Swiss style quick release plate
- A new textured grip and Arca-Swiss style tripod interface enhances both speed and utility. And because the tripod mount is made of lightweight magnesium, it is much easier to carry.
- Compatible with TAMRON TAP-in ConsoleTM, an optional accessory product
- The optional TAP-in Console provides a USB connection to your personal computer, enabling you to easily update your lens’s firmware as well as customize features including fine adjustments to the AF and VC.
- The tele converters exclusively for the Tamron lens now developed
Two exclusive tele converters*4, which perfectly match the optics of the new SP 150-600mm G2 (Model A022), offer 1.4x and 2.0x magnification, and provide a maximum zoom range up to 1200mm. These new tele converters extend focal length of the master lens, making it possible to take pictures in farther ultra-telephoto ranges.
*4 Additional information will be available on Tamron’s website at a later date.
Changes in zoom range when used with SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Model A022)
Mounted on 35mm full-frame DSLR camera Mounted on APS-C format DSLR camera Without tele converter 150-600mm Approx. 233-930mm With 1.4x tele converter 210-840mm Approx. 326-1302mm With 2.0x tele converter 300-1200mm Approx. 465-1860mm
Changes in magnification ratio when used with SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Model A022)
Maximum Magnification Ratio Without tele converter 1:3.9 With 1.4x tele converter 1:2.8 With 2.0x tele converter 1:2
Available focusing mode when used with SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Model A022)
When using viewfinder When using live view mode With 1.4x tele converter AF*5*6/MF AF*6/MF With 2.0x tele converter MF AF*6/MF
*5 Autofocus functions normally on any camera that offers F/8 autofocusing (see your camera’s instruction manual for your camera’s ability).
*6 Subjects with low contrast and/or luminosity values can sometimes result in out-of-focus images.
- Based on the rigorous quality standards worthy of the SP series, this new lens is manufactured with thorough attention to details
For the SP series products in particular, Tamron has established rigorous design and quality standards. These standards apply to the optical design, mechanical design and the cosmetic appearance, as well as to such wide-ranging areas as the product’s robustness and improvements in various individual functions. Tamron thoroughly reviews of all of the design and manufacturing processes in order to offer products to customers with ever-higher precision and quality levels.
For the SP 150-600mm G2 (Model A022), the optical design was refreshed, mechanical parts were improved and a new exterior design was adopted. To maximize the optical performance intrinsic to this product, Tamron improved the accuracy of component parts and increasing the precision of the overall zooming mechanism.
The new design adopted for the four SP series lenses already on the market is essentially the fusion of engineering and style, the pursuit of functional beauty and craftsmanship achieved by giving meticulous attention to minute details. Using metal as the exterior material creates a high-grade design based on the concept that emphasizes “Human Touch” characteristics, and significantly improves user-friendliness. The SP models feature a novel design for the switches, easy-to-read characters, an enlarged window over the distance scale and the adoption of organic forms easy for the photographer’s fingers to hold onto.
This design philosophy—the pursuit of functional beauty with a “Human Touch”—is applied even to the most minute details of the new SP 150-600mm G2 (Model A022) ultra-telephoto zoom. By using metal for the exterior material and adding new functions such as the FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism, the Model A022 achieves a size and weight that makes comfortable handheld shooting possible, with a slim and stylish appearance design to top it all off.
|Angle of View (diagonal)||16°25' - 4°8' (for full-frame format)
10°38' - 2°40' (for APS-C format)
|Optical Construction||21 elements in 13 groups|
|Minimum Object Distance||2.2m (86.6 in)|
|Maximum Magnification Ratio||1:3.9|
|Length*||for Canon 260.2mm (10.2 in)
for Nikon 257.7mm (10.1 in)
|Weight**||for Canon 2,010g (70.9 oz)
for Nikon 1,990g (70.2 oz)
|Aperture Blades||9 (circular diaphragm)|
|Image Stabilization Performance||
4.5stops (CIPA Standards Compliant)
Using in VC MODE 3
(For Canon : EOS-5D MKIII is used / For Nikon : D810 is used)
|Standard Accessories||Lens hood, Lens caps, Lens case|
|Compatible Mounts||Canon, Nikon, Sony***|
- Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
- *Length is the distance from the front tip of the lens to the lens mount face.
- **Weight includes the weight of detachable tripod mount.
- ***The Sony mount version does not include VC since Sony digital SLR bodies incorporate built-in image stabilization functionality.